There has been a dwelling at Nichols Nymet for 1000 years. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The term Nymet means 'place in the wood' or 'place of refuge and sanctuary'. We believe that in pre reformation times there may have been a monastery here, and there was a chapel in the field which fell down in 1769. Reputedly, there was a tunnel from the Manor House to the chapel, but we have not yet found it! The current Manor house was built in 1816 on what was left of a previous stone built house which may have burnt down. The current house is constructed of stone and cob. Cob is made from
mud straw and stone and is more commonly used for smaller cottages etc. It is unusual to see it used in such a big house. For further information about cob building, please click here to visit our specialist cob builder.

We are grade II listed with English heritage, and the summer house seen in photos used to revolve to make the most of the sun. The house was a private dwelling throughout the 19th Century and 1895 sales particulars state it had over 100 acres of land. It became a Hotel in 1978 and had extensive modifications to the buildings from 1982 onwards. A large Function room was added and later a Pipe/digital organ was installed in this room. The Cottages were converted from the old stable block and coach house.

In October 2001 HRH Prince Charles made a private visit to Nichols Nymet House to meet some local business people who had been affected by the "foot and mouth" epidemic. He is seen below photographed in the hall with Paul, Muriel, Emma and Charles Goodman.

To view some old images of the Manor House and surrounding area, we have included some pictures. Click on any of the images below to view a larger version.


Nichols Nymet House Circa 1900

HRH Prince Charles at Nichols Nymet 2001

Nichols Nymet House 1918

Miss Matthews and Governess Circa 1900

Mrs Matthews with Carriage and Horses Circa 1900

Nichols Nymet House in the 1930/40's

Nichols Nymet House in the 1970's

Wisteria circa 1900

Tea in the Hall with Mr Richmond Gorle Circa 1928

Nichols Nymet House Pipe Organ


© nichols nymet house 2007 | design by insanity design | sitemap | links